maargazhi(th) thingaL madhi niRaindha nannaaLaal
neeraada(p) pOdhuveer pOdhuminO nErizhaiyeer
seer malgum aayppaadi(ch) chelva(ch) chiRumeergaaL
koorvEl kodundhozhilan nandhagOpan kumaran
Eraarndha kaNNi yasOdhai iLam singam
kaar mEni cengaN kadhir madhiyam pOl mugaththaan
naaraayaNanE namakkE paRai tharuvaan
paarOr pugazha(p) padindhElOr empaavaay..!!!
மார்கழித் திங்கள் மதிநிறைந்த நன்னாளால்;
நீராடப் போதுவீர்! போதுமினோ, நேரிழையீர்!
சீர்மல்கும் ஆய்ப்பாடிச் செல்வச் சிறுமீர்காள்!
கூர்வேல் கொடுந்தொழிலன் நந்தகோபன் குமரன்,
ஏரார்ந்த கண்ணி யசோதை இளஞ்சிங்கம்,
கார்மேனிச் செங்கண் கதிர்மதியம் போல்முகத்தான்
நாராயணனே, நமக்கே பறைதருவான்,
பாரோர் புகழப் படிந்தேலோ ரெம்பாவாய்.
Oh the well ornamented maidens!
desirous of taking the bath (in the YamunA)
on this full moonday of MARGALIplease JOIN.
Oh the prosperous young girls of
AaypAdi (Gokulam) that is rich and grand
(in beauty and wealth)!
Lord NaarAyana will surely yield to us alone
the drum (paRai).
He is the son of King NandagOpa,
(KrishNa), the young lion-cub of YasOdhA
with very charming eyes.
He (Lord NaarAyaNa) has a dark cloud-like
divine complexion, (lotus like) reddish eyes
and (lustrous) face (shining) like the
bright Sun and Moon.
(This Lord Narayana alone is the Savior).
(Let us) resort (to Him) is performing the
Paavai-Nonbhu and get the benefit of praise
from the people of the world.
(Oh dear friend, may you recite and learn this)-
know the purport of this hymn}.
In the month of Maargazhi, It is the auspicious full moon day. Lovely young ornamented maidens of the cowherd colony which is flourishing in wealth! Don't you want to bathe in the Yamunaa? Please come take part in the festival! (Paavai Nombu). Naarayana, the son of Nandagopa who is the terror of his enemies with his sharp spear, Naarayana, the young lion's cub of Yasoda, of charming eyes, Lord Naaraayana with his dark-cloud like complexion and eyes of crimson lotus hue, with his lustrous face shining like the sun and cool like the full moon. He will surely grant us all our desires! Come, let us bathe and celebrate the festival, for which the world will praise us.
1. Andal praises the day (NANNAL) that has appeared of its own accord for the observance of the vow. What it means is that for a soul, that day is the Good Day when he understands all about himself and God and their mutual relationship of Lord and Servant which is stated in the Tirumantram.
2. The fruit in getting one's body is for serving the Lord here and hereafter (NEERADA PODUVIR)
3. All those who have a longing for the service of the Lord are qualified to join her. (PODUVIR PODUMINO)
4. She speaks of the radiance that attended on the face of her companions on hearing her requisition. (MADI NIRAINDA; the moon is not in the sky alone!)
5. The prosperity of Gokula consists of Sri Krishna's amiable pranks in stealing butter and girls; i.e., the wealth of a Sri Vaishnava consists of his intoxicating love for and enjoyment of Lord's company.
6. Nandagopa's vigilance in guarding Krishna with his very sharp spear in hand symbolizes the "ASTHANE BHAYA-SANKA" and "MANGALASASANA-PARATA" which characterizes a SriVaishnava.
7. Yasoda's over-indulgence of Krishna is responsible for all his pranks and misbehavior towards the young gopis.
8. SrimanNarayana is the SOLE MEANS of attaining His Feet. This strikes the keynote of the Song Divine-TIRUPPAVAI. NARAYANANE (Upaya Swarupam) NAMAKKE (Adhikari Swarupam) PARAI (Phala Swarupam) TARUVAN.The safest means of securing Him is not Karma yoga etc but His Grace only.
That is the sum and substance of this verse.
Seer malhum: The place where those blessed ones, who comprehend fully the anantha kalyANa GuNams of the Lord reside AaypADi:
nErizhayeer: Oh People with the noble traits of Samam and dhamam (auspicious Aathma GuNams of Tranquility and Control over the senses)!
NiRaintha- ThingaL Mathi: On this day, which is like the Moon with all its sixteen digits (kalai) just as the ShAdgunya SampoorNa BhagavAn Himself
NannALAl: Since it is such an auspicious day Maarghazhi Neerada pOthuveer pOdhuminO!: Those who wish to follow the most noble upAyam (means) of Prapatthi (self-surrender)!Please join us!
Thozhilan: One who destroys our sins
NandhagOpan Kumaran: and is the eternal Youth, who is the BrahmAnandha Svaroopan, who initiated BrahmA into the Vedams and meanings.
Yasodhai: by granting us BrahmAnandham
iLam Singham: One, who is like the powerful Lion
NaarAYaNanE: That SarvEsvarn, who has incarnated as Krishnan now amidst us NamakkE Parai TharuvAn: for us, BhaagavathAs, who have performed Bhara NyAsam(Aathma Samarpanam, Prapatthi) at His sacred feet HE WILL READILY GRANT US