vaiyaththu vaazhveergaaL naamum nampaavaikku(ch)
cheyyum kirisaigaL kELeerO paaRkadaluL
paiya(th) thuyinRa paramanadi paadi
neyyuNNOm paaluNNOm naatkaalE neeraadi
maiyittu ezhudhOm malarittu naam mudiyOm
seyyaadhana seyyOm theekkuRaLai(ch) chenROdhOm
aiyamum pichchaiyum aandhanaiyum kai kaatti
uyyumaaReNNi ugandhElOr empaavaay.
வையத்து வாழ்வீர்காள்! நாமும் நம்பாவைக்குச்
செய்யுங் கிரிசைகள் கேளீரோ! பாற்கடலுள்
பையத் துயின்ற பரமன் அடிபாடி,
நெய்யுண்ணோம்; பாலுண்ணோம்; நாட்காலை நீராடி
மையிட் டெழுதோம்; மலரிட்டு நாம் முடியோம்;
செய்யா தனசெய்யோம்; தீக்குறளைச் சென்றோதோம்;
ஐயமும் பிச்சையும் ஆந்தனையும் கைகாட்டி
உய்யுமா றெண்ணி உகந்தேலோ ரெம்பாவாய்.
----- MEANING ------
Oh! you people born to live (vaazhveer gaaL) in this world (vaiyam), won't you listen (kELeerO) to the deeds (kirisai) we do (chey) to ourselves (naam) and to our (nam) idol (paavai)!. We sing (paadi) in praise of the feet (adi) of the Lord (paraman) who is in meditative sleep (paiyath thuyil) on the ocean of milk (paal kadal). We do not eat (uNNOm) ghee (ney). We do not drink (uNNOm) milk (paal). We bathe (neeraadi) early morning (naat kaalE). We do not use (ezhudhOm) eye liner (mai). We (naam) do not braid our hair (mudiyOm) with flowers (malar). We do not do (seyyOm) prohited things (seyyaadhana). We do not go and recite (chenRu OdhOm) evil (theeya) demons (kuRaL) works. We donate (kai kaattu) to poor people (pichchai), to deserving people (aiyam), to ascetic people (aandhanai). We think (eNNi) about our salvation (uyya) and feel happy (ugandhu).
People who reside in this world! May You listen to our austerities, you are to follow during our Paavai Nonbhu. We will sing in praise of the holy feet of Paraman (the Supreme Purushan) that has taken to sleep (YoganidhrA) merrily on the milky ocean. We will refrain from consuming ghee and milk. At the early small hours of the day (dawn), we will bathe immersed in the river; we will refrain from applying anjanam to our eyes; we will not decorate our locks of hair (lit. bind our hairs) with flowers; (we will abide by the holy text books ShaasthrAs); we will refrain from performing proscribed duties; we will not speak painful untruth; we will give liberally alms to those people. we will always contemplate upon the fair method to achieve the aim of purposeful life ; and we will (thus) live a contented life. This way, Oh dear girl, You may know our routine. Refraining from doing wrong acts, through the path of VairAgyA (dispassion) one should adore the feet of KshIrAbdhisAyin
People of this Earth! listen to the austerities we shall perform during the paavai-nonbu! We shall sing the praise of Naarayana who sleeps in the milky ocean. We shall abstain from ghee and milk. We shall bathe before daybreak. We shall not indulge in gossip nor perform actions which are taboo. Of alms and gifts, we shall give liberally. We shall follow the path of a life of contentment and happiness.
At her cordial invitation a huge crowd gathered and the wonder-struck ANDAL exclaims, "in this ignorance-spreading world, are there so many interested in Emancipation!” She proceeds to prescribe "dos" and "don'ts" (which actually are the SAMBHAVITA SWABHAVA, the natural characteristics of the Adhikari).
While we appear to be performing this vow for getting rain, in reality it is different. She stresses the words "NAMUM NAM Pavaikku"- NAMUM- WE are quite different from others; we long for His company and firmly believe that He alone is the Means for achieving it. NAM Pavai- Indrajit did a malefic rite to put an end to Rama; but OUR beneficent rite is for securing Lord's and His World's prosperity and happiness.
The SriVaishnavite Code of Conduct as prescribed by her is as follows:
1. Recite the Samskrita and Dravida Veda which sings the glory of the Feet of the Lord reclining on the Serpent in the Milky Ocean, all the while thinking about one's Redemption.
2. Eschew all carnal and even worldly desires like eating ghee, drinking milk etc.
3. Bathe early in the morning. Don't adorn your eyes with collyrium, or your hair with flowers till the completion of the vow; meaning thereby that a SriVaishnava needs decoration etc only when he is in union with the Lord.
4. Never indulge in an act which was not practiced by our righteous minded ancestors. Bharata refused the kingship though granted by his father and permitted by Rama on the grounds that the tradition of Solar Kings did not permit a younger son to rule when the elder was living.
5. A SriVaishnava should not speak ill of others or even think about it (which is tantamount to reporting it to the God inside the heart, thereby ensuring their fall); Sita never uttered a word to Rama about the ill-treatment by the Rakshasis.
6. He should ever be ready to do charity and impart knowledge about God to all those who need it.
In short he should constantly be thinking about his upliftment and keep his mind filled with peace and happiness.
KIRISAIGAL (Observances) are of three kinds: Vaachikam, Kaayikam and Maanasam
(by one's speech, limbs and mind). Singing /naama Sankeerthanam (paadi) is Vachika kaaryam; taking bath, giving alms are kaayikam kaaryams; thinking about Him is the maanasika kaaryam.
ANDAL insists all should wear six mangaLa vasthus (1) Mettu in toes (2) Valai (bangles) (3) Nose screw (4) ThirumAngalyam (5) Tilakam (6) Pushpam
ACTS TO BE DISCARDED
(1) “TheekkuRalaic-chenROdhOm” (we will not speak painful untruth and engage in purposeless talk) (2) “SeyyAthana seyyOm”: We will not think on subjects that will lead us astray. (3) “NeyyuNNOm PaaluNNOm”: We will not consume ghee and milk.
THAT SRIMAN NAARAYANAN IS “PARAMAN” The Greatest of the greatest One is our Lord, who performs Yoga Nidhrai on Adhi Seshan in the midst of the Milky Ocea, has none Equal to Him or Superior to Him. With Sri MahAlakshmi's , He shines as Param JyOthi there and becomes Parama Purushan and PurushOtthaman.
ANDAL addressed of us as “Vaitthu VaazhverkAL” or the BhAgyasaalis, who got the difficult-to obtain Nara Janmam to observe the Vratham of SaraNAgathi and follow the life of PrapannA...